There is a common phrase in soccer: "A goalie without luck is not a goalie". A few days ago I came to the realization that the same applies to Eve and, at least for me, pirating.
I was out hunting in my usual grounds in a new configuration for my trusty Thorax cruiser. Usually when I roam with a thorax, I do so with a tank set up. This usually allows me enough time to go back through a gate if I am caught at a gate camp (since most gate camps in low sec are so very disorganized). However, this day I was roaming around for the first time in a thorax set up completely for gank.
Not having fount any targets near hulmate/vitrauze, I headed back towards Hevrice. As I passed by Aeschee, a rapier caught me at the gate. With dual webs on me, It would be very doubtful that I could get back to the gate before I died, even if I had been in my platerax.
As my armor dropped and I tried to at least get some hits on him with my drones, I decided I would at least make him pay a little for this kill. I overloaded ALL of my modules, activated as many as I could, and tried to break them. He would have to pay to repair the modules before he could use or sell them. It was slightly wrong for me to do it I guess, but hey, he was getting the privilege of killing the great bandito of the universe, surely it must come at a price!
Just when I resigned myself that I would die, the unbelievable happened. A neutral pilot entered through the same gate in an Armageddon. Being cunning that I am, I figured I would deny the rapier the Killmail by attacking this neutral pilot and getting the gate guns to fire on me(really no point to this as he could have gone on our killboards and gotten the KM off of there). So I did, targeted the Armageddon and sent my drones after him. Surprisingly the guns did not shoot at me however. Then before I knew it, the rapier was nowhere to be seen and I was free to warp away. I spammed the warp button. I did not care for hammerhead II drones as I was already in 70% structure and I knew that the gateguns would fire on me eventually.
Finally arriving at a safespot, I began trying to figure out what just had happened. Why had the gateguns not fired on me? Since I sent my drones after the 'geddon had they just fired on them before cycling over to me (I did see them shoot, just did not see the target). Then, through local, I began to piece it all together.
What had just happened was the following: After the armageddon jumped in, the rapier inexplicably had targeted him, and somehow aggroed him. However, when he did this, he incurred the wrath of concord which quickly dispatched the rapier.
The Armageddon of course grabbed all loot, as well as my Hammer II drones. I had a chat with him afterwards, and he was a good guy. Apparently (according to was written in local), the rapier pilot was "stoned", and that is what led to the stupid mistake (he admitted to it himself).
Sometimes, I would rather be lucky than good :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Don't sell yourself short--you were "good" enough to keep reassessing the situation and adapt with new ideas to try and survive. And so you did...take some credit for that at least! Good read!
Post a Comment